The NAMI Family-to-Family Education Program is a free 12-week course for family caregivers of individuals with mental illnesses. The course is taught by trained family members. All instruction and course materials are free for class participants. All you need to do is call the office and sign-up!!
The Family-to-Family curriculum focuses on schizophrenia, bipolar disorder (manic depression), clinical depression, panic disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). The course discusses the clinical treatment of these illnesses and teaches the knowledge and skills that family members need to cope more effectively.
Family-to-Family Course Topics include:
1. Family responses to the trauma of mental illness.
2. Schizophrenia, major depression, and mania: Diagnosis and dealing with critical periods.
3. Depression and Bipolar subtypes; Panic disorder; Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD); Borderline Personality Disorder; Co-occurring brain and addictive disorders.
4. The biology of the brain: emerging scientific discoveries.
5. Problem solving workshop
6. Medication review
7. Understanding the inner experience of having a mental illness.
8. Communication skills workshop.
9. Self-care, relative group testimony.
10. Rehabilitation, services available.
11. Advocacy, fighting stigma.
12. Celebration and certification ceremony.
2017 Up Coming Classes:
January 10th to March 28th – N. Alamo area.
January 21th to April 8th – NW Bandera area.
January 26th to April 13th -IH 10 area.
February 13th to May 1st – NE 410 area.
February 27th to May15th – New Braunfels area.
March 22nd to June 7th – Selma area.
April 20th to July 20th – Wurzbach area.
April 29th – July 22nd – NW Jefferson area.
May 2nd to July 25th – N. Alamo area.
June 7th – August 30th – NW area.
July 11th-September 30th – 281 area.
July 26th – October 11th – 281 and 1604 area.
Aug 31th to November 16th – N. Alamo area.
September 11th- Nov27th – New Braunfels area.
September 12th to November 28th – N. Alamo area.
September 18th – December 11th – NE 410 area.
September 20th – December 13th – Selma area.
September 21th – December 14th – IH 10 area.